I am fed up with this superfood bullshit.
There is no such thing as a superfood there is just food and junk food.
Yes they are super in comparison to junk food. Junk food is not food though it is just fake food manufactured by food companies to make a lot of money.
You can get a pre-packed meal in a supermarket or a pizza from the take away for €5 or less. Do you really think this is the same as going out and buying fresh food and making a proper healthy meal from scratch?
They are commercially produced foods that have little to no nutritional benefit. In most cases these are poisonous to your body.
Next time you so to the supermarket pick up one of these meals. Read the ingredient list and I challenge you to investigate all the ingredients and see what they are. I am sure you will find many man made chemicals in the list.
If you think your body is designed and capable of breaking down these manufactured chemicals then feel free. However if you have any level of knowledge of nutrition you will know to drop it and run.
You never know, with all those chemicals your hand could turn green.
Let's take beetroot as an example of a superfood. One of the so called superfoods we have available to us in any fruit and veg section.
Beetroot is packed with nutrients.
- An excellent source of folic acid
- A good source of fibre
- and potassium.
Not only that, the leaves of the beetroot and a really good nutrient source also and are packed with
- Iron and
- Vitamins A and C.
Beetroot have been used in a medicinal capacity for a long time. It has been known to stimulate the detoxification process of the liver. Also betacyanin which is what gives the beetroot its distinctive colour has been shown by Howard University, Washington DC to
- Suppress the growth of certain types of cancer by 12.5%.
- Prevents LDL cholesterol from oxidizing which is when it becomes dangerous to your health.
- It also is a good source of fiber to assist with bowel health.
It has also been shown to
- Increase levels of antioxidant enzymes in the body.
- Increase the number of white blood cells.
- Is the richest source of glutamine which is an amino acid responsible for the health of your intestinal tract.
Beetroot is also very important for women for two reasons
- As we said earlier it is high in folic acid. This is important for pregnant women to ensure that the baby forms a healthy spinal cord. It also helps give the mother an extra boost of energy while pregnant.
- Helps fight against osteoporosis. It is packed with a mineral called silica which is very important to help the body use calcium efficiently. Since women are more susceptible to osteoporosis it is important they consume beetroot.
Beetroot can also help improve your sex life by invoking the same mechanical response as Viagra. It does this widening the blood vessels by releasing nitric oxide into the body. It is also a rich source of boron which is important for the production of sex hormones.
Food vs fake food
You can see there is huge health benefits to beetroot. In comparing it to the fake food you can find today it really is a superfood.
There is no such thing as superfood though. It is just food and fake, man made food.
A very simple rule to follow with food is this.
If you can't grow it or it doesn't have eyes then it is not food.
Go out spend a little extra money buying good healthy real food. Stop supporting multi million dollar fake food manufacturing companies.